Wednesday 21 April 2010

Smash Hits is back!

I am indebted to my friend Martin Birdsong for helping me discover a wonderful new(ish) blog and its sister-flickr site featuring full editions of near-legendary pop/rock fornightly Smash Hits, appropriately from 30 years ago.
Brian McCloskey has taken on the mammoth task of adding a new issue of Smash Hits to his fab blog Like Punk Never Happened every fortnight, with all the pages on the flickr site, on the thirtieth anniversary of the original publication date. So that means I get to (re)read Smash Hits all over again as in 1980! Hurrah!
I was an avid reader until about end '83/84 (when music went a bit cr*p) taking in every single word, picture, review, advert in every issue. Oddly, or perhaps not, browsing through the pages on flickr I seem to have every single one of them imprinted on my brain somewhere. I was particularly glad to see the amount of favourable attention given to John Foxx with the launch of his solo career, and to Gary Numan from Tubeway Days onwards (before the backlash..)
Anyways I shall be updating some of my I Love 1980 posts with Smash Hits pages and thanks to Brian I shall be able to follow that magic year as chronologically as possible (is that English?).
Cheers.
The thoroughly modern Skids adorn the front cover of SH in late 1979. Sadly Big Country was just around the corner..

No comments: