Tuesday 16 February 2010

I Love 1980 - 2

Blondie - Atomic

Although it's from a 1979 album Eat to the Beat, I always thought Atomic was a very 1980 sort of song and in fact I was pleased to read that it was in fact released as a single in February of that year. The album had been around although word had it that it was a disappinting follow up to the ground-breaking Parallel Lines (which we all had), so obviously I never even bothered with a tape copy (although I remember someone having it), but Debbie Harry was still a bit of alright..
But back to the single "Atomic" tho which was in fact a remix of the album track and had us bopping round the disco floors in a clumsy 16-year old sort of way. Cool punky music you could also dance to and impress girls with. And Debbie Harry was still a bit of alright.
The single actually made it to number 1, even though to this day I don't really understand what it's about. "I'll make you magnificent...atomic!" eh? A metaphor? Oh right!
The video (as seen on TOTP) plays on the post-nuclear apocalyptic theme, with our Debs dancing in a bin-bag, somewhat in contrast to the glossier dishy disco-Deb of Heart of Glass .. but she was still a bit of alright...atomic in fact!
By the way if anyone's reading and has the 12" in digital format then I'd like to hear their version of "Heroes". Thanks.


2 comments:

Suzy Andrews said...

Here you go
Heroes Live

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V68VVQPK

Anonymous said...

cheers mate! thanks for that and for coming by my blog.