Sunday 16 May 2010

I love 1980 - 11

The Human League - Rock n Roll / Holiday '80

Going back to that classic TOTP show in May I can't really begin to describe how I felt at the end of it. All I know is that by the end I still had both Messages and The Human League's fab version of Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll ringing in my head...I mean how brilliant were the League at this time?
The song was only 'bubbling under' that week and was typically used as opening number to the show... but it just blew this impressionable 16 year old away.
Visually they were someting just out of this world...Just four blokes some synths, a tape recorder plus a singer with 'funny hair' and the backing singer with a blue glittery tie..magic! Even Gary Numan had never been this good with the full on electronic stuff . .he still used drums and guitars and didn't see and to be having as much fun! But Phil Oakey and the lads were something else... A proper electronic rock band!
Naturally I went out an bought the single (b7w Being Boiled / Dancevision - not the double 7", sadly) and played it to death. I would confound my friends at parties that summer with..a brand new sound, which of course only i seemed to dig.
The single never made the top 40 however (not even thanks to my contribution) and despite a relatively successful and critically accalimed album Travelogue, the band would split within the year.
Philip & Adrian (slides and occasional synthesisers) would be back a year later though and quite a different League. The Human adventure was just beginning....


No comments: