Wednesday 4 August 2010

I Love 1980 - 19

Abba - The Winner Takes It All

Number One thirty years ago folks....amazingly moving song in Abba's already vast repertoire. Always incredibly unfashionable in the face of new wave, new this and new that but I'd loved Abba since Waterloo and in fact they were secretly loved by many, and were an important part of the DNA of the new pop of the 80's, as well as being totally re-discovered, re-visited and re-purposed more recently with the various multi-million selling "Abba Gold"s, the "Mamma Mia" musical/movie (which features an excellent versh of Winner by Meryl Streep BTW..) and all that.

A cracking song though, and perhaps one of their last decent ones. Oddly they hadn't had a no. 1 in th UK since Take A Chance on Me in early 78 and popularity had waned a bit, but they managed it twice in 1980 with this one and Super Trouper towards Christmas.
Still manages to give me the shivers to this day when Agnetha sings.. "and I understand, you've come to shake my hand.." .. No Agnetha! No! Marry me please!
I'm posting the video this time as well as the mp3 cos you just gotta love Agnetha's expressions through all of this, plus the smart Abba-clobba..

No comments: